Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

My Cloth Diaper Story: Part 2

As I wrote in my last post, cloth diapering my daughter was easy peasy and we didn't really have any problems. Oh, there was the occasional leak when a diaper got left on too long (what? i never did that!) but really cloth diapers were a piece of cake.

So when I found out I was pregnant in 2011, I was excited to cloth diaper our next child. Really excited, because you know what is cuter than cloth diapers? Teeny, tiny, newborn cloth diapers. I couldn't wait to put those little cuties on a tiny butt.

My newborn stash
After researching, I decided to do a newborn cloth diaper rental* Kissaluv size 0's with Thirsties covers, as well as a few newborn purchases that I couldn't resist. When they arrived, I nearly died from the cute. So tiny!! So when I gave birth to an almost 11 pound baby boy, my first thought (after, "thank god I had a c-section) was "oh no, my diapers won't fit".

They did actually fit and on the day we took him on from the hospital he had his first fluffy butt. He hasn't worn a disposable since.
First Fluffy Butt


The didn't fit for long though. After a month I was finding myself needing to move on from the bullet proof combo of the KL0 plus Thirsties (seriously not one blowout or leak with this combo). He was big enough for my one size pockets but guess what? Boys are different than girls!! All there pee is up front and they pee a lot! My easy peasy pockets weren't so invincible anymore.

Suddenly I found myself in love with the diapers that I had previously had no use for, prefolds. My previous attempts with prefolds were cumbersome and they were so bulky. Why would anyone use those when pockets and AIO's were available? I'll tell you why, they absorb like a MoFo. Also, with a cover they are blowout and  leak proof. I haven't perfected my folds enough that I don't get poop on the inside of the covers but I'm getting there. One more great thing about prefolds, they can take the abuse of washing and drying frequently. This is crucial during the poop constantly phase.

My only problem with prefolds is that Landry will be starting daycare soon and they just aren't an option there. Luckily, I have found that Thirsties Duo All-In-Ones are also blowout and leak proof for us. With the velcro closure they are just like a disposable which makes life easy for my daycare provider.

What works for diapering one child doesn't always work for another. I thought I had cloth diapering figured out but my big boy taught me that there is always more to learn. I'm sure that 6 months from now, things will have changed again.

*I got my rental from Nell's Natural Baby.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to read this because I just ordered some NB and small bamboo PFs for Oliver. We have infant sized but they are just so big and bulky. Pockets were awesome from Maddie, but I didn't think about the fact that it might be so different with a boy. That makes me feel better about my purchase!

    ReplyDelete