Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

It starts with one step

For most of my adult life I have been a runner. That was my preferred exercise. While I might not have loved every run, I did love running. I loved racing. I loved, especially, training for races. Planning and mapping out a training plan and sticking to it totally gave me a happy. I was always training for a 10 miler or a half-marathon. As a result, I stayed in pretty good shape.

Not me
Then I had a baby. Now, I wish I was one of those women who could keep running and exercising throughout pregnancy, but two pregnancies have taught me that I am not. I came out of my first pregnancy 30 pounds heavier than I had gone into and it took me a year to get myself together enough to do something about it. In February 2010, I started the C25K program. It was a bit of blow to my pride to be starting from scratch but I easily went through the program, losing about 25 pounds (with dieting) along the way. By May I was running 5 mile runs and then at the end of May, boom, I was pregnant again.

Fast forward 10 months and I once again laced up my running shoes and started Day 1 of the C25K program. I was slow. I felt heavy. I felt old. I felt great. So great that two days later I did it again.

My eating isn't great but I am running. It's the first step on the long journey back to fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment